[governance] Vint Cerf OpEd in the New York Times: "Keep the Internet Open"

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri May 25 09:07:45 EDT 2012

Rumors are the main problem, when there's a lack
of information lobbying is of course effective.
The ITU gave a briefing on WCIT during the WSIS
reviews in Geneva last week. ITU Secretariat
emphasized they wanted to be as open and
transparent as possible.  A couple of sector
members asked if they could share the information
they had access to with their members, if I
remember correctly the answer from the
Secretariat was ask the ITU Council.  Requests
for information were stonewalled. The
presentation did not give any information about
the substance of what was being discussed (your
email, a couple of sentences, is more
informative), but somewhat bizarrely it did
mention summary documents of the regional
preparatory meetings and submissions to date had
been prepared.  At least two people asked if
those documents could be made public, and the
answer was a negative non-committal.  What was
the point of mentioning the existence of the
documents?

Sérgio, governments that care about the ITRs
might do well to make sure information is made
available, or the ITRs are likely to end up in
the same place as ACTA, SOPA, and PIPA, etc.
Look at ACTA, treaties don't seem to be quite as
certain as they recently were.

Of course the U.S. wants to make the ITRs as
ineffectual as possible, and the lack of
information from others makes their lobbying all
the more effective.

Best,

Adam