IETF WAS Re: [governance] Enhanced Cooperation (was Re: reality check on economics)

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Fri May 25 09:06:26 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Roland Perry <
roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In message <CAOLD2+**aOTmgv9Cc47tUHaVjNiUUftKmnt0KK**
> mvF510L6_EG2iA at mail.gmail.com<CAOLD2%2BaOTmgv9Cc47tUHaVjNiUUftKmnt0KKmvF510L6_EG2iA at mail.gmail.com>
> >**, at 11:42:57 on Fri, 25 May 2012, Andrea Glorioso <
> andrea at digitalpolicy.it> writes
>
>  But again generally speaking, I do believe we already have some form of
>> "global governance" system in place which spans across many different
>> policy areas; many of which are either impacted, or impact, or both, the
>> Internet (and its governance).
>>

> ITU and ITRs perhaps?

That's certainly the opinion of several people from different walks of
life.

 Hence my suggestion that a mapping of this "global governance" system and
> the extent to which government/public authorities already have a role could
> be a useful step, not the least because it would allow to focus on those
> areas where the capability of government/public authorities to exercise
> their rights and obligations towards their citizens in a global
> cross-border environment is somewhat limited (privacy/personal data
> protection comes to mind). Furthermore, such a mapping could also help to
> identify which fora/processes could benefit from a broader involvement of
> more stakeholders.

I think there are already too many maps like that.  We should be moving
> onto the next stage by now. (And it doesn't matter if the map that's
> examined is less than perfect, such things will emerge and be corrected in
> the next stage).

I'm aware of only two efforts, namely the APC project and the one by
Norbert Bollow & co. I'd be interested to know if there are more.

And I'm not clear what is the "next stage" anyway.

Ciao,

--
I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
in mind.