IETF WAS Re: [governance] Enhanced Cooperation (was Re: reality check on economics)

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu May 24 17:42:29 EDT 2012

When looking at IETF its probably also worth looking at some of its more
eccentric processes and structures and determining whether these have
ongoing value and/or scaleability. These would include

1. Lack of any formal membership structure (anyone can participate). This
also leads to accountability issues ­ wheras governments are accountable to
their citizens, and companies to their shareholders, it¹s not clear who IETF
is accountable to seeing it has no formal membership structure. Tnis lack of
accountability also leads to no formal review or performance evaluation
processes ­ which in turn can lead to other problems.
2. The unusual Irish lottery Nomcom selection process (copied to IGF from
IETF). This egalitarian process allows the Irish lottery to choose those who
choose our representatives. In the IGF experience, it has thrown up a
Jeffrey Williams to a Nomcom and more than one Nomcom where the majority of
members selected by the lottery did not participate meaningfully. I don¹t¹
know whether IETF has had any similar issues but this is another aspect I
would deal with with caution in any other organisation. I hope my country
never adopts it for selecting high court judges....
3. The RFC (Request for Comments) process. This to my knowledge is an IETF
invention, and my preliminary evaluation is that it is a good one and
perhaps scaleable to other organisations and structures. It provides a semi
formal process for evaluation of ideas and determining which are worth
pursuing.  Everyone can throw up ideas for consideration. Probably a bit
better than the suggestion box and probably useful in quite a few
organisational settings. Worth looking at anyway.

I am sure there are other operational aspects worth looking at and I am sure
we can learn from some of them. I am equally sure that there are others
which are past their use-by date.

Ian Peter