IETF WAS Re: [governance] Enhanced Cooperation (was Re: reality check on economics)

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu May 24 04:28:30 EDT 2012

In message <A2FCAA71-BDFF-4B9D-B8EC-86C77181E1DA at ella.com>, at 14:25:18
on Wed, 23 May 2012, Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> writes
>> I would envision the body that is modeled on the IETF to not make the
>> final decisions, but develop a set of models of potential regulations on
>> these topics, with documentation of advantages and drawbacks of each,
>> and leave it to the relevant parliaments to make the choice between
>> them.
>
>I like this way of looking at it.
>
>I wonder, would willing countries, or other localities, need to try implementation of the regulatory models before they were actually
>recommended by the body? Or is this a part of the model (running code) that would not carry over?

Even if implementations of the regulatory models were tried in one
country (and deemed a success) there is no guarantee it would be a
success in another country.

If you think about regulatory models as software and countries as
hardware, BGP software works on routers the world over because all those
routers are fundamentally similar, but countries are very different from
each other.
--
Roland Perry