IETF WAS Re: [governance] Enhanced Cooperation (was Re: reality check on economics)

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:48:19 EDT 2012

Oh, good. By the end of the evening we shall have enough alphabet
pasta (AP)/ alphabet spaghetti (AS) to boil up a cauldron of soup.
Don't know about the north, but it would go down very well down here
in freezing Namibia. ;-)

Bon appétit (BA)

Rui (R)
;-)

On 23 May 2012 16:13, Andrea Glorioso <andrea at digitalpolicy.it> wrote:
> Dear Avri,
>
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:
>>

>> Dear Andrea,
>>
>> As you, and others, were denigrating a model I think works and is an
>> exemplar, I considered it necessary make common cause with those who defend
>> the model from those who denigrate it. There are few enough workable
>> instances of multistakeholder participatory democracy (MPD).  While these
>> MPDs are imperfect and must continue to evolve and improve, I do not think
>> any of us who are part of these organizations and who support these
>> organizations can allow them to be rendered irrelevant by those who appear
>> to support a multilateral government oversight (MGO) approach.
>

> Frankly, if you think that my comments on the IETF amounted to denigrating
> the organisation (DTO), we have a serious communication problem (SCP). As a
> matter of fact, I conceded for the sake of discussion (SOD) that the IETF is
> free from capture by large industry players (LIP); and that the
> decision-making model (DMM) used by the IETF is producing good results
> within the specific remit of the organisation (GRWTSROTO).
>
> I did, however, question in a very socratic sense (VSS), being myself at the
> ignorant side of the relationship, whether and how the IETF model could be
> applied to public policy making (PPM); as well as which kind of objective
> metrics one could use to analyse all of the above (AOTA), rather than
> relying on the say-so of anyone.
>
> For the time being, I concluded there is hope, since some civil servants and
> some IETF participants do seem to have something in common, namely the
> (forced?) passion for acronyms - I am currently writing an NtF for a pre-JF
> with the CAB in which the LTT for the SC of next week will be discussed. I
> kid you not, these are all real acronyms in an eurocrat daily life and I
> welcome you to try and guess what they mean. :)
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
> in mind.
> Twitter: @andreaglorioso
> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/andrea.glorioso
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=1749288&trk=tab_pro

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

Mobile Number in Namibia +264 81 445 1308
Número de Telemóvel na Namíbia +264 81 445 1308

I am away from Johannesburg - you cannot contact me on my South African numbers
Estou fora de Joanesburgo - não poderá entrar em contacto comigo
através dos meus números sul-africanos

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
Angola Liaison Consultant