IETF WAS Re: [governance] Enhanced Cooperation (was Re: reality check on economics)

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed May 23 09:38:22 EDT 2012

On 23 May 2012, at 09:28, McTim wrote:

>> and adoption of IPv6)
>
> Why would adoption be a metric of success of a standards body?  I
> would think the metric would be the standard itself!

And another one of my controversial arguments, in other fora, is that the reason IPv6 has failed up till know (see how conciliatory I am being - this time it may really really be for real), is that the IETF broke with its normal model and policies in its effort to act like a government a force people to accept one of its solutions.  They not only forced a top down decision in choosing which of the several options would be followed, they then started working to try and convince people that they had to do accept his tech.

If anything as a metric, this is an indication that top down does not work and the IETF should not make any further errors like this.

Oh, yeah, IETF isn't perfect.  And I do not remember saying it was, and when it deviates from its model, it risks error.

avri