IETF WAS Re: [governance] Enhanced Cooperation (was Re: reality check on economics)

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed May 23 07:41:09 EDT 2012

Norbert (or Avri or anyone...

Without at this point a preference for models of decision making in the area
of EC...

For the sake of argument let's take your description of the IETF process
"absolute openness of participation, rough consensus, and deferring
decision-making about draft standards until several members of the group
have hands-on experience with implementation and interoperability testing
for the draft specifications" and let's do a thought experiment applying it
to an area of potential EC policy making such as say "Net Neutrality" could
you or anyone explain how the process you have described above might lead to
a generally acceptable (and usable) outcome?