[governance] reality check on economics

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Mon May 21 07:26:15 EDT 2012

Just one more link re China's regulatory actions permitting the Google-Motorola Mobility merger to conclude:

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/2012/05/21/android-remain-free-open-years-china.htm

Main condition is  Google cannot restrict access to the Android OS for the next 5 years.

So returning to the original consumer/user focus of this thread; the regulatory approval process for M&A activities including of major multinational enterprises impacting the Internet seems to work more or less well. With China the notable newcomer joining the default gauntlet of US and EU regulators which those firms must pass by to conclude major deals. (Other national regulators matter too, of course, but from a power politics point of view, not so much.)

However, to Guru's, Parminder's, Jeremy's and Louis' concerns for consumers/users and their democratic rights, we can't point to similarly effective opportunities for their direct intervention at global level, nor equally effective coordination of national regulators.

Except perhaps...in areas of Internet governance where existing global MSH mechanisms, namely ICANN, are the market-makers and regulators.  Eg, for gTLDs.

Lee