[governance] reality check on economics

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sun May 20 21:02:28 EDT 2012

To follow on from my highlighting the multi-national regulation of firms with dominant positions, and the need to keep China in mind since it's...huge and richer by the year...from today's Wall Street Journal: the news is Chinese regulators have permitted Google (a US based firm) to acquire Motorola Mobility (another US based firm). US and European regulators have already signed off on the deal.   Meaning: existing national laws do have impacts at least in the competition policy arena.

The key requirement for the Chinese regulators? That Google would continue to offer Android to other device makers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303360504577414280414923956.html?mod=WSJ_Tech_RightMostPopular

So, turning back to Parminder's mention of how Taiwanese regulatory action led to Google withdrawing from its market; it could be that China has clout that Taiwan does not. Or, it could be that the Chinese regulators played their hand more skilfully. Hard to say without further inquiry.

But my basic point remains the same: in some cases, in some contexts, multinational regulatory coordination including of dominant firms like Google works reasonably well. In other cases regulatory actions have less positive outcomes.

Whether a truly global regulatory process would work better at regulating dominant firms, than relatively dominant governments (US, Chine, EU)....well we would have to specify exact areas of potential market regulation, and why one apporach would work better than another.

For example, the global market regulation of the gTLD market by ICANN....that is the best of all possible regulatory outcomes right? ; )

Lee