[governance] reality check on economics

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun May 20 16:36:55 EDT 2012

In message <1D5155C9-2507-43E8-8AD6-48A22FB4C632 at acm.org>, at 13:32:23
on Sun, 20 May 2012, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> writes
>> A lawyer can proclaim knowledge of the law (quite justifiably) when entering a technical environment where they nothing about the technology.
>>
>> But they do know what the technology should deliver (eg: privacy and security). Surely their opinion about that is as valuable as the
>>technologists'?
>
>Possibly, but not if s/he comes in proclaiming that s/he understands the technology.

And you think they'll influential in the debate if they come into that
environment saying that they don't understand the technology?

I'm not suggesting they should mis-represent their technical ability,
rather that they should still be able to participate equally in the
policy making on the basis of their actual expertise.
--
Roland Perry