[governance] reality check on economics

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun May 20 13:19:21 EDT 2012

Recalling the past, the largest tinker labs we used to run were at the
government offices where I worked and usually in the evenings since we
had all the idle computers and cluster power to ourselves to test and
secure the financial government networks both online and offline! I
was given, by then Pakistan's President, a recognition for keeping
online the financial e-government, stock exchanges, revenue and
securities exchange. We were treated as engineers and technical
professionals, not idiots. That was 2003, ten years ago....and the
world is a different place for us, ICT and IG!

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Roland Perry
<roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
> In message <B6855143-E49D-4D52-986E-538EFE4A4E42 at ella.com>, at 11:29:50 on
> Sun, 20 May 2012, Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> writes
>
>> You are twisting my words. Nothing new there.  We all do it sometimes. So
>> I forgive you.
>>
>> In the technical environment geeks are usually the way to go.
>> This is not the case of other environments.
>> Many geeks are idiots when out of their milieu.
>>
>> As for idiots, we all can become idiots in some fame of reference or
>> other.
>> And no, I am not calling all non geeks idiots.
>> Only the ones who enter an environment they know nothing about while
>> proclaiming their knowledge.
>

> A lawyer can proclaim knowledge of the law (quite justifiably) when entering
> a technical environment where they nothing about the technology.
>
> But they do know what the technology should deliver (eg: privacy and
> security). Surely their opinion about that is as valuable as the
> technologists'?
>
> --
> Roland Perry

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/