[governance] reality check on economics

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun May 20 11:21:31 EDT 2012

In message <669E63CE-E03B-4FE9-A197-21943202AE50 at ella.com>, at 10:35:32
on Sun, 20 May 2012, Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> writes
>>> Unfortunately outside of perhaps the IETF, being on an equal footing
>>> is still a more a goal than a reality
>>
>> Do governments have an equal say in the IETF? I always presumed it was heavily biassed towards people who could demonstrate a working
>>knowledge of the technology.
>
>In my experience at the IETF, governments were as likely to contribute people who have a working knowledge as anyone else.  I know of very few
>governments who do not have some very knowledgeable people.  True in some case, as with companies and academia, the knowledgeable have trouble
>finding their way around the mass of idiots, often to do manage to do so - as much in governments as i beleive in any other bureaucratic
>organization.

Does that mean you agree that the only people likely to make an impact
are geeks (employed by Governments)? It's a bit harsh to characterise
non-geeks as "idiots", by the way. That's typical of why venues like the
IETF are seen as hostile by policymakers who understand the law (which
very few geeks do).

What's needed is a way to bridge this divide, not emphasise it.
--
Roland Perry