[governance] reality check on economics

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun May 20 09:24:04 EDT 2012

On 19 May 2012, at 23:39, Guru गुरु wrote:

> I think you have begun a useful thread of thought - the need for global regulation of business.

I did not go that far.

I was looking for what could be done at a global level to help avoid local monopolies in information services.

I also spoke of global work to help produce local regulatory reform.
I do not not advocate global regulation of business.

> My question for you is - in the processes of framing national regulation, would you have the concerned companies "on an equal footing" as with the other stakeholders, wherein a verizon or google can veto any definition of net neutrality other than theirs.

Yes, I would have them on a equal footing. Being on an equal footing does not allow for any stakeholder to control or veto.  Unfortunately outside of perhaps the IETF, being on an equal footing is still a more a goal than a reality, whether the CSTD/IGF where governments have the veto and the ability to do what they want despite the views of the other stakeholders or an ICANN where businesses has prevail for most of its existence, we have not had equal footing (though it is possible ICANN is now moving in a better direction toward equal footing, jury is still out).

> How can we ensure regulation/policy making to be based on negotiation of perceptions of public interest?

I beleive neither government regulation nor self regulation has really worked. Or could work.

So this is a good question, and the one I am asking, given there is a problem and given that one cannot trust governments or companies on their own to serve the public interest, how can we use this new multistakeholder model with all of the stakeholders on an equal footing to achieve the public interest.

avri