[governance] a reality check on economics

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun May 20 06:44:03 EDT 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 6:12 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> to add to Fouad's email ,
>
> The minister from Sudan pointed out yesterday, at the CSTD meeting, how any
> consumer from Sudan cannot even update anti virus software while operating
> form within Sudan because of the US embargo on some countries

then they are using the wrong AV software.  There are FOSS choices out
there not subject to any US embargo...or they could torrent updates
using proxies/TOR, etc.

..... Makes a
> very clear case for a more distributed Internet and Internet services
> ecology that we have today, and for this to happen we need better
> international and national policies regarding the Internet. The world is not
> ready to live under the neo-colonial rule of the US.

So in this case, would you deny a country the ability to conduct
foreign policy as they see fit?

What would you have a CIRP-like thing do in this case?

Would you give it the power to break embargoes?

I would rather the intelligence remain at the edge of the network
instead of somewhere central.

--
Cheers,

McTim