[governance] CSTD meeting on EC, Memo 4

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Fri May 18 11:51:56 EDT 2012

At one point, around 4:30, Chair started to give floor to government and
non-government actors alternatively. So we got the floor, finally.

-----

Switzerland
Thomas
spending hours of repeating these two divergent views, not coming closer
consultations in 2012, missed the opportunity
it does not make sense to continue this much longer
try to agree on next step to Enhanced Cooperation
Swiss – compromise, to hold interactive multi-stakeholder consultation
EC is started or not does not matter in our opinion

We plea to all stakeholders for the next step.

on IGF, urge governments and others to seriously consider the MSH
cunding in MSH process.
support Canada’s urge to give the floor to non-gov members.
<applause>

EC
not entirely sure on beginning and ending of EC
beneficial to move more substantial analysis

suggest – evidence-based policy making (of European commission)
scientific approach – initiated by mostly CS organizations
Vice President of EC –Khros?

Portugal
Luis
conceptual exercise of refine the definition
1) trigger the input of MSH – in written form
2) develop a thorough process of assembling
to provide the concrete evidence base ground,
by either CSTD or UNESCO as part of WSIS review process

proceed with Synthesis, eventually setting up Working Group
such a group be productive
objective mapping

Naoko Seta, MIC, Japan
Comment on Internet Governance
Internet has operated steadily, already became infra by private-sector
led framework,
however, it is also true- on cyber security, privacy
in order to maintain growth
current MSH is very important, in which gov, private sector and CS to
play respective roles
assure openness and freedom, for reliable Internet for everyone

Finland
recognize Internet as global resource
many development challenges remain, especially for the benefit of LDC
and those most marginalized
Panel showed there is no shared understanding on EC,
Finland to remain at 2010 position
find out what real problems
does not believe changing the current mechanism,
 changing DNS brings risks
only sustainable way to improve is to make them happen from inside

Sri Lanka
equal footing of Inter-governmental setting

Nigeria,
Jimson, business, via phone

Aysha Hassan
EC is more than inter-government process.
remain sensitive for limited time, financial and other resources

Mexico
support all stakeholders participation

Bertrand de la Chappell
echo with Switzerland on formulation of our argument

WGIG -  IG – limited to CIR or not, Tech Management by private sec?
WGIG answered to these questions

Debate about EC – delicate words “in their respected roles”
Enhanced cooperation[s]  - plural?
respected roles, Parminder’s -
WG proposal – made, and heard concerned  waste of time? additional cost?
I don’t want to take sides.
two points to make now –
1) WG functions correctly if they do involve different stakeholders
Brazil rightly proposed to use WGIG format, there is large convergence
2) those who don’t want are requested for funding
In closing, highlight further points:
1) scope of WG – different things – better common shared understanding
2) mapping of different ECs
3) notion – overarching principles on how to conduct EC
where to attach and how to Chair
how open this WG methodology, and how to accept input
how to, or not, articulate the IGF process

It’s time to move from a ping poing game of affirming variable interpretations.

Peru
WG is the best idea

Izumi Aizu
IGC Statement for CSTED Meeting on Enhanced Cooperation

Thank you Chair person for finally giving the floor. I say “Finally”.
My name is Izumi Aizu living in Tokyo and also in global cyberspace at
the same time like many of you.
I am one of the two co-coordinators of the Civil Society Internet
Governance Caucus which was established during the first phase of WSIS
in 2003 as part of all CS families, and is remaining engaged in
Internet Governance related activities such as IGF, CSTD WG on IGF
improvements and this meeting.

We are encouraged to see the evidence of constructive dialogue around
EC here. However, we are also very disappointed today to see that
priority was given to governments and all non-governmental
stakeholders, civil society one of them, were put on hold, or in the
second class until this late afternoon. This is neither on equal
footing or respecting the roles. We will not accept this working
modality if that is the next step on EC since it is not really MSH at
all.

We are proud that the Civil Society on the planet today is as diverse
as the mankind. We have quite a few active members from the South, -
three civil society speakers this morning, Anriette, Parminder and
Marilia are all active member of our caucus, and they are all from the
south. We have also many members from the north, North as well as from
the East and the West as well as gender and other diversities.

When it comes to specifics, our diversity is often reflected in our
different views, as was shown from our three excellent speakers this
morning. We share the similar challenges to governments and other
stakeholders.

But now our “bottom-line” is,
- keep the principles endorsed by the Tunis Agenda, especially, to
hold to the principles – that means -

Many CS members support the principle of OPEN, Multi-stakeholder
global governance and the need for IG forums where all stakeholders
are equally, and effectively represented not only in its
participation, but also to the decision making or consensus building

Some WG proposals we heard today seems to have broad support among CS,
yet there are different opinions in its functions, anchorage, and
operational modality. I think devils are in the details.

We hope to see the further productive dialogue, one way or other in a
truly open forum allowing all stakeholders to reach consensus on equal
footing of this difficult challenge of Enhanced Cooperation.

Thank you.

Kuwait

Third World Network
representing 50 CS organizations.

undermining – UN multilateral environment

Civil society be given adequate avenues substantive role

CIR – access be transferred form US gov to an appropriate democratic mechanisms

UN based mechanism on the basis of subsidiarity princples, innovative

on the principles of human liberty, equality and fraternity

UN is the appropriate place for developing countries
CSTD to be instituted for EC

Internet be governed democratically

China
Ministry of Information Industry
Internet became one of most important infrastructure.
However, in the process of development, generated issues such as cyber security
IG also became important global topic.
Hence sharing exeperince and mutual support have all the more
important and urgent.

Countries should on equality of principle, cooperation and spirit –
romote orderry and healthy developent.
China is ready to work with all governents on EC
Support internantional mechanism, mutli-lateral, transparent and democratic
equitable distribution of CIRs,
stable functioning of internet

According to tunis Agenda,
International Public policy issues are in the domain of national
security, have the right and responsibility
Stakeholder to conduct open consultations.
Unfortunately such have not produced any progress.

ECOSOC resolution, government and stakeholders effectively perform
functions to produce results.

We hope discussion next week will elaborate

Computer Communication Industry Association
Nick Ashton-Hart
 most innovative companies,
like to associate with ICC Basis
positive, practical impact to real people

CSTD WG – if this lead to real value to people
it does not look like this WG pass this test
in contrast WGIG add value, why we supported

MSH with capital M, works, all parties have equal opportunity to be heard
it works
UK and Canada made the case
UN system increased access and collaboration of non-governmental
sector since beginning,
ITU system fall behind other UN process
Report on Eminent Persons on Civil Society participation in 2004
“dialogue with civil society – will make UN more effective2
UNSG Banh Ki-bun, demand new kind of cooperation.

Mecatin?  Africa
Represent Consumer International  -with 150 countries
we support the formation of WG, civil society can participate
WG will be MSH, democratic, transparent, complement with those already
developed for improvements of IGF

Avri Doria
Individual Civil Society member
Software engineer

With resolution UN GA unfortunately torn apart
IGF is not responsible on EC, EC occurred nonetheless
Forward steps were taken in EC
Unfortunately, many of interventions today were nearly identical to
the ones before 2006 – opportunity were lost.
IGF may not ready today to handle EC, but may be so, eg CIR
It is ready to handle EC now.
no better mechanism could be found than IGF with its maturity
it should be done in the context of IGF, or very least, in its context
in any case, everyone to participate on equal footing

----