[governance] India's proposal for a 50 member UN committee for Internet Related Policies

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri May 18 06:29:57 EDT 2012

Resending without digital signature.  It's been reported to me that the
list is messing up my emails and making them blank, and I think the
digital signature is to blame.

On 18/05/12 15:32, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <aba77ccf-26f3-49cf-8579-c0feb9e52540 at email.android.com>,
> at 08:01:59 on Fri, 18 May 2012, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> writes
>> Without getting into the discussion over the merits of the marketing
>> campaign for Parminder's proposal, I  have to admit I just do not
>> understand how turning over a process that according to the agreed
>> langauge of the Tunis Agenda (paras 67-72) should be within IGF's
>> scope to the CSTD or some other government dominated body increases
>> democratization.
>
> Nitin was always very clear that EC and IGF were separate processes.

Which confused many of us, because he was so clearly wrong about that.
The EC and IGF paragraphs of the Tunis Agenda are inseparable.  In any
case, this curious contention appeared to have fallen by the wayside
when finally EC was discussed at the Hyderabad meeting.  Indeed if
anything, that discussion marked too much of an about face, in which
suddenly EC not only was *part* of the IGF process, but was *fulfilled*
by that process and the other existing mechanisms for stakeholder
cooperation.

> The IGF has never been about producing a deliverable (an outcome), so
> is surely not suited, nor intended, to fulfil the role of the process
> mentioned in paragraph 70.

Whilst I don't accept that, in any case there is nothing to say that the
IGF could not host a more substantive EC mechanism, in lieu of creating
a new UN body such as the CIRP to do so, or hosting it at the ITU.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer*

Follow @ConsumersInt <http://twitter.com/Consumers_Int>