[governance] CSTD meeting on EC, Memo 2

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Fri May 18 06:13:08 EDT 2012

Nigel Hickson, Vice President of Policy, ICANN

There are many examples of Enhanced Cooperation
talking about – CSTD WG, other meetings, etc
Looking forward, it’s important not to throw away of the product of these works

Internet is chairng how we work and live
We all have part to play, everyone can have voices in this process
We need to foster MSH approach, enhance various cooperation
let us not move away from these for a
not put governance of Internet purely governmental,

Markus Kummer, Vice President, ISOC
IT was nearly 10 years ago we started WSIS
In july, non^governmental stakeholders banging the door
today Multistakeholder coopraton is a norm,
in our view, it is not an option, but a must
key architecture of Internet – network of network, without central control
based on open and interoperable standard
allows innovation without permission at the edges
these principles produced unprecedented benefits
Its governance should reflect this fundamental architecture
Internet model or Internet Ecosystem
Open, bottom-up freely accessible MSH for public and technical policies
Tunis Agenda – para –

Since Tunis, Internet more doubled
Earthquake in Haiti, Tsunami in Japan – Internet was the only medium
of communication existed

no common understanding of “Enhanced Cooperation”

<snip>

Marilia Maciel
CS, Brazil
I have not participated in WSIS process.
I like to share some perceptions of landscape, from the window of
center of research from South. – We need to see the reality – to
understand each other for dialogue.

Internet is not no man’s land – regulation accumulated, technical and other
With some recent changes, I see some concern – mechanisms of EC could be one way
privatization of regulation – customized platform etc,
 consequesnt – on free flow of information, but also regime of governance
dicipline of several aspect of citizens – no opportunity on this platform
ask private regulation – no way to scrutinize
lateral arrangements particularly on Notrhern hepmisphere
itself is valuable exersice, produces asymmetric regime
why actors from developing countries – on access while other actors
working on free speech, etc

A platform of harmonization of these is the only way to avoid
fragmentation of regulation
to forsre openness, freedom, universality of rights
recnt politicization of Internet governance and erosion of MSH
 in high-level
problem – no participation of non-governental actors
this will lead erosing of MSg, may not be at IGF,
Erosion can be overcome by making MSH decision making
any change should bring, transparency, accountability ,balance to
stakeholders, according to tunis agenda
uncomfortable to place EC under existing UN mechanism
IGF has positive spillover
certain conditions – non-governmental actors
more than 30 CS – on World Conferenc on International Telecommunication
no remote participation, cost to participate
this statement be directed to member states
IF MSH is really the principle, they should defend same conditions in
Internet discussions
this process can be linked to UN, but new kind of shared discussion
should it be soft law or hard law, etc

It is time to come and face this issue – clarification
feasible decision making process
this is not a simple task, and support the creation of a WG
Wolfgang mentioned many times, we need innovation on International policy making

Marilyn Cade
Enhanced Cooperation is already undersay.
Is it perfect? No. But we must build it from where we are.

what can we contribute for the betterment of the users regardless of
where they live in

IGF also needs to be improved
 - CSTD WG on IGF improvement
EC should go hand in hand with EC

I am not convinced that restructuring is the way to go
 improving these is the way

Proposal – to proceed to calls for WG
A few years ago UN SG invited reports
CSTD could call for submissions from International and intergovernmental
organization, call, convene one-day meeting parallel CSTD
inter-sessional meeting this fall
Another meeting on Feb parallel in IGF consultation
then CSTD can decide if we need WG or not

end of prepared presentation

----