[governance] Workshop judgments

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu May 17 10:06:18 EDT 2012

Thanks for the clarification, V. A few comments below

space is not an issue in Baku (commonly main argument for dropping some proposals)
[Milton L Mueller] Didn't know that. That is good, it increases the viability of liberal approaches.
However, I still believe that people (or organizations) who submit more than 3 proposals should simply be reduced to a maximum, which should probably be 2 or at worst 3. Let those organizations themselves decide which ones are really the top priority. I have been involved in countless IGF workshops and I know about as much about various aspects of IG as anyone, and I do not believe that any individual or organization can properly organize and run more than 2 IGF workshops if a high quality standard is maintained.
Finally, some think that selection can also serve as an excuse for possible "misuse" by some stakeholders to filter out "problematic" workshops
[Milton L Mueller] Yes, this is always in my mind as well. As soon as selection exists there is the possibility for discrimination according to what some consider undesirable content rather than low quality. That is another reason why a limit on multiple submissions is a good selection approach - it is content neutral and allows the proposers to trim the fat rather than the MAG.
Still, I would hope that the MAG is diverse enough, and respectful of the opinions of its various members, that discriminatory or censorial selections would not be possible.
Regarding the merger, it was decided that MAG will not impose merging sessions, but only recommend. The organisers may then decide.
[Milton L Mueller] Good.