[governance] IGF Open Consultation Memo, Afternoon, May 15

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Tue May 15 12:05:41 EDT 2012

Hi, here is the my crude not of the Afternoon Session. It just
finished two minutes ago.

-----------

Izumi
Want to ask nonMAG members in the room – as to how much do you expect
MAG members to intervene the quality of the workshops?
liaise with less represented stakeholder, etc?

Do you like to let MAG members give more advices to the substance and
organization of the workshops, ie include more from South, gender
balance, etc.
Explore and encourage innovative ones. Many are repetitive from previous IGFs.
Keep diversity – having many is not bad – rather, good
But raise quality of each workshops.

Janis Karlins
How to increase the relevance of the IGF without chaging the nature of
the IGF, place for dialogue?
World Forum - Davos meeting and Clinton’s global dialogue – two similar events.

Council of Europe –
upport Aysha’s proposal of ICC to be focal point
EuroDIG be organized, with European Commission

ECA
Makane Faye
Support Izumi’s proposal
like to go further – make sure that workshops are co-organized by
other key organizers of other regions
feel free to contact us – to provide resource persons

Jeff, AT&T and ICC
support comment by Janis
Capture National and Regional IGFs throughout the year

Tijani
Quality of diversity, etc I agree
best way to insure of quality
if to assess the quality of speech, takes too much

Anna Neves
analyze the impact of IGF in national and public policy,
this impact has never been studied
re: Izumi’s point – to raise quality support – to the workshop be
discussed this afternoon

Anriette, APC
support many comments made
1) send reminder of criteria be useful
send a few specific questions to workshop organizers
  purpose of workshops, what do you want to achieve?
  some proposals do not articulate these
2) MAG to invite volunteers who are not MAG members to participate in
the workshops under main theme

re: Izumi/Anna/ Tijani
 MAG – to identify – addresses topical issue, but not well-developed,
reach out these organizers, don’t have be too formal

Coffee break

16:35: reopening the session

Mervi, Finland

Andorea, Russia CS
on report, by scientific

Aysha
to reduce/consolidate number of workshops
main session, hope strong participation in Baku
emphasis on capacity building
some focus are on ICT, ask them to add Internet governance angle

Tijani
assessment of workshops
 assessment of report is not good way
  on the attendance and interactivity of workshop
 indicator – can show the success of workshop
Workshops must be co-organized – I don’t understand this

Robert Guerra
ad hoc session, successful session – favorable
innovation – how sessions are facilitated, instead of set numbers go
round, proven to be quite well

Izumi
Asian countries are not accustomed to free, round-table discussion
style, rather more orderly style.
We have different standards of measuring the quality.
Could we also have evaluation from the participants?

Vladmir, Diplo
We miss participants from small island countries, Pacific, Caribbean etc.
we need more workshops with controversies – feeling of controversies
within workshops
Same panelists appearing many times
Encourage people to apply, as resource persons –

Ask organizers to fill the new template to qualify for final selection.
Specify speakers, clear information on what the purposes.
Modality of the session etc – interactive.
Five basic questions before we make final selection.
Ask people to tag proposals.
Different types of workshops – level of maturity of topics can dictate format
- expert presentation
- free roundtable
-
we can tag the proposals –
 it will enable easier reporting later
how do we assess the quality?  - usage, usability of workshops

Mark
Fear of over-managing the IGF?
I do wonder if we might be going down the road – too many criteria, etc?

Chris Dissipain
Individual MAG members have done and will do – contacting WS
organizers, but not MAG as a whole. MAG should not do
I am concerned if MAG to attempt to influence.

Freedom House
Concern to interfere the substance of workshops.
on controversial subject, etc.
Main message – to be helpful, but stay away from managing individual workshops.

Robert Guerra
Echo Sanja’s concerns.

Izumi
To clarify – with my earlier question on quality -
I note the concerns of Chris, Sanja and Robert among others, not
attempt to influence the substantive part of Workshop, etc. We should
not judge the values etc. The final decisions should be made by the WS
organizers, not by MAG etc. at all.

Felix,
Clarify - suggested to make the platform, not to dictate.

Chengetai
How many numbers of MAG do you want to hold?

Chris
How many can we?

Chengetai
All of them!

Kieren McCarthy
It’s number of tracks, not number of workshops, concurrently.
More than five tracks will be bad.

Avri
Disagree with Kieren.

Heather Dryden, Canada, retired MAG member
Do not go into details of workshops.

The Netherlands
Do not try to reduce the number of workshops.

Mark Carvell, UK gov
It’s not “conference” – to Kieren’s concern
It’s forum, dialogue, not quite conference.
We do have to cut back.

Bertrand,
In favor of keeping as many Workshops as possible, provided there are
appropriate along the criteria.  There are many conflicting workshops,
instead of forcing people to merge, identify clusters of workshops
dealing with similar topics, insert the round tables, before plenary
ideally.

Chair
We will take all into consideration.
Invite MAG members, but I want to give floor (to non MAG members)

Open Consultation Meeting adjourned.

[some applause]
18:01