[governance] Draft "talking points" for MAG Consultation tomorrow

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Tue May 15 04:33:40 EDT 2012

Dear Izumi,

Under Remote Participation -

Include true free broadband in Host Country Agreement, to make sure
the RP works, and also free Internet is guaranteed during IGF.

We don’t want video surveillance, let people to be able to feel free.
Guarantee Freedom of Association.

please ensure that 'free' is clearly defined - free as in without cost and
free as without constraint. We need both.

on the second point - a comment - where do you draw the line between remote
participation with video and video surveillance? and given RP with video
anyone who speaks can be both seen and heard by anyone
so while we can ask for/insist that Azeri freedom of expression be
guaranteed there will need to be some other mechanism as well, and I can't
think what that could be.
In which case it might be preferable to say nothing.

Just a - rather unclear - thought. Got up for 9am meeting forgetting that
it's at 11 - 4am here :-(

Deirdre

On 14 May 2012 14:55, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> We have been discussing about the preparation for the MAG, here are
> the talking points.
> We may not do "formal statement" all the way, but plan to make
> effective interventions
> based on these points.
>
> Please give your responses we will try to accommodate as much as possible.
>

> izumi
>

> Draft Talking points from IGC to the MAG Open Consultation
> May 15 2012
>
> MAG renewal
> Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus is pleased to see some new
> faces and bloods in the renewed MAG, as well as some old faces, and
> appreciate the effort of the UN Secretariat for the selection of some
> of our nominees.
> We also like to point out some concerns, however:
>
> On MAG selection
> We still feel that there is a room to improve the openness and
> transparency of the selection process. We also note that timing of the
> selection was too close to the May meeting so that some of our
> colleagues have difficulty in getting the discount rate of air ticket
> and hotel accommodations.
>
> Financial Support
> We also like to point out that the though there has been some
> financial assistance to the travel for MAG members from the developing
> countries, civil society members in the non-developing countries,
> people like myself, also do not have such financially allowance, and
> need to make hard effort to support own cost of travels.
>
> Remote Participation
> We are grateful to the past hosts of the IGF, especially recent ones
> in Vilnius and Nairobi, for their attention to the Remote
> Participation. We also urge the need for better preparation, financing
> and implementation for the RP for Baku meeting and support the RP
> Working Group (host country, Secretary, volunteers, moderators)
> following our past best practices with more support and recognition.
> Organization of remote hubs has been huge challenges.
>
> More support for remote moderators. Aggregating the outcomes of whole
> workshops – on internet.  Internetization of whole IGF.
>
> Include true free broadband in Host Country Agreement, to make sure
> the RP works, and also free Internet is guaranteed during IGF.
>
> We don’t want video surveillance, let people to be able to feel free.
> Guarantee Freedom of Association.
>
> There are technical dimensions and institutional/planning dimensions
> for Remote participation, both are mutually conducive, but should be
> treated separately.
>
> Workshop selection
>  Ask organizers to fill the new template to qualify for final selection.
>  Specify speakers, clear information on what the purposes. Modality.
>  Five basic questions before we make final selection.
> Let MAG members give more advices to the substance and organization of
> the workshops, ie include more from South, gender balance, etc.
> [...]

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979