[governance] Draft "talking points" for MAG Consultation tomorrow

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Mon May 14 14:55:30 EDT 2012

Dear list,

We have been discussing about the preparation for the MAG, here are
the talking points.
We may not do "formal statement" all the way, but plan to make
effective interventions
based on these points.

Please give your responses we will try to accommodate as much as possible.

izumi

Draft Talking points from IGC to the MAG Open Consultation
May 15 2012

MAG renewal
Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus is pleased to see some new
faces and bloods in the renewed MAG, as well as some old faces, and
appreciate the effort of the UN Secretariat for the selection of some
of our nominees.
We also like to point out some concerns, however:

On MAG selection
We still feel that there is a room to improve the openness and
transparency of the selection process. We also note that timing of the
selection was too close to the May meeting so that some of our
colleagues have difficulty in getting the discount rate of air ticket
and hotel accommodations.

Financial Support
We also like to point out that the though there has been some
financial assistance to the travel for MAG members from the developing
countries, civil society members in the non-developing countries,
people like myself, also do not have such financially allowance, and
need to make hard effort to support own cost of travels.

Remote Participation
We are grateful to the past hosts of the IGF, especially recent ones
in Vilnius and Nairobi, for their attention to the Remote
Participation. We also urge the need for better preparation, financing
and implementation for the RP for Baku meeting and support the RP
Working Group (host country, Secretary, volunteers, moderators)
following our past best practices with more support and recognition.
Organization of remote hubs has been huge challenges.

More support for remote moderators. Aggregating the outcomes of whole
workshops – on internet.  Internetization of whole IGF.

Include true free broadband in Host Country Agreement, to make sure
the RP works, and also free Internet is guaranteed during IGF.

We don’t want video surveillance, let people to be able to feel free.
Guarantee Freedom of Association.

There are technical dimensions and institutional/planning dimensions
for Remote participation, both are mutually conducive, but should be
treated separately.

Workshop selection
 Ask organizers to fill the new template to qualify for final selection.
 Specify speakers, clear information on what the purposes. Modality.
 Five basic questions before we make final selection.
Let MAG members give more advices to the substance and organization of
the workshops, ie include more from South, gender balance, etc.
Explore and encourage innovative ones. Many are repetitive.
Ask people to tag proposals.

CSTD WG Improvements Report
We support the substance of this Report and urge us/MAG/IGF community
to work hard to implement collectively.  Need for MAG – being driving
engine, as well as facilitator/catalyst, not self-decision making body
per se.