[governance] Re: CIRP+

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun May 13 03:15:21 EDT 2012

On Sunday 13 May 2012 12:16 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> parminder<parminder at itforchange.net>  wrote:
>
>> May I humbly suggest that the real problem, which perhaps out of
>> political correctness some people are hesitant to spell out here, is
>> that you and many others here who are making these protestations trust
>> the governments of the North and simply do not trust the governments of
>> the South.
>>
> excuse me?
>
> Putting aside your 'humility', i find this persistent accusation to be disturbing.  I for one have never found a government I trust.  Maybe some people in some governments who I have met and worked with, but a government per se? Not likely.

I said 'many' and not 'all'. While you may excuse yourself out of this
'many', I do make this claim with responsibility, and from what one sees
on a regular basis in IG spaces. And of course trusting a government is
meant in a relative manner, we all do in our political work in IG spaces
work more closely with and trust some governments more than others, like
we do vis a vis other actors.

Any absolute declaration, in this regard, of 'I trust no government' is
as meaningless, and leads us nowhere, as 'I like all governments',
However, if we are speaking of the institution of democratic government,
yes, I have great faith in it. I am not sure that is what you are
referring in your disclaimer.

> But beyond that, this diremption you constantly insist upon in the fabric of civil society does help at all.  For myself it make disucssion of any points impossible, knowing they will just be discounted becasue I am a government lover.

On the other hand, I myself often find it difficult to speak of
democratic global governance without the risk of being discounted as a
government lover. Now you know how the pinch feels :)

Parminder