[governance] CIRP+

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Fri May 11 11:18:54 EDT 2012

Another rather short response from me....

This part of Mike's message really resonates for me in relation to
"Enhanced Cooperation":

 "(The suggestion here being that rather than starting off as a UN body,
the next stage IGF framework might begin as a non-UN agency but with the
possibility that it might, as it universalizes, evolve in that direction.)"

I remain unconvinced that setting up any kind of oversight body inside
the UN system at this point is (1) workable considering how hard it is
for governments to agree with one another, (2) likely to strengthen the
chances of an open internet that allows the free flow of information,
or, (3) increase civil society's influence over IG.

But.. I like the idea of exploring a new paradigm, and even a new body
of some kind, that might, if it proves itself, evolve into a more
institutionalised form, linked to the UN.

How can we better use the IGF to explore such a process?

Anriette

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692