[governance] Bangladesh Consultation on 7th IGF, WSIS+10 & Broadband Targets for 2015 of Broadband Commission

AHM Bazlur Rahman ceo at bnnrc.net
Wed May 9 08:43:12 EDT 2012

*Bangladesh Consultation on *

*7th IGF, WSIS+10 & Broadband Targets for 2015 of Broadband Commission*

A Multi-Stakeholders 'Consultation on 7th Internet Governance Forum(IGF) ,
World Summit on the Information Society Forum  2012 (WSIS+10) & Broadband
Commission for Digital Developmentā€™s  broad Band action plan   was
organized at Conference Room of Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory
Commission (BTRC) on 7th May 2012 in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

The consultation was jointly organized by Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio
& Communication (BNNRC), Monthly Computer Jagat and Angkur ICT Development
Foundation in Collaboration with Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory
Commission (BTRC)

Mr. Hasnul Haque Inu, MP, Chairman, Parliamentary Standing Committee on
Ministry of Post & Tele Communication joined as the Chief Guest, while
Major General Zia Ahmed,PSC (Rtd.) Chairman, Bangladesh Telecommunication
Regulatory Commission (BTRC)  participated as the Special Guest of the
meeting.  Dr.Akram Hossain Chowdhury, MP and Chairman, Center for
E-Parliament Research moderated the program.

In his speech as Chief Guest Mr.Hasanul Haq Inu, MP told that this
consultation would contribute and play important role on the eve of
7thInternet Governance Forum.We need to review now our achievement in
Digital
Bangladesh. We need to revise some of the policy aspects in relevance to
Digital progress. I personally believe that access to broadband internet is
our constitutional right. He claimed to exempt 15% VAT on internet and
demanded zero-taxation on all other ICT equipment.

Maj. General (Rtd.) Zia Ahmed, PSC  told that the profits of lowering the
price of Internet Bandwidth yet not reached to common people .If we could
ensure this scope to the common people ,it would accelerate the
implementation of Digital Bangladesh vision. We are working to cover the
wider community in future Bangladesh.

At the outset of the consultation, Mr.AHM Bazlur Rahman, Chief Executive
Officer of Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio & Communication (BNNRC)
welcomed all the participants and invited  opinion and recommendations from
them.

Two presentations were made dealing with WSIS Goals and broadband issues,
by Reza Salim, Director, Amader Gram ICT for Development Project and
Lieutenant Colonel Md.Rakibul Hasan, Director (Systems & Services) of
Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC).

Among others Md.Faizullah Khan, President , Bangladesh Computer Somity(BCS)
, Shamim Ahsan, Ex-vice president of BASIS, S M Altaf Hossain, Managing
Director of DRIK-ICT, Ms. Nazneen Nahar, Editor, Monthly Techworld
Bangladesh also took part in the consultation by putting forward  their
valuable opinion and comments .

Bazlu
_______________________
AHM. Bazlur Rahman-S21BR
Chief Executive Officer
Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication (BNNRC)
[NGO in Special Consultative Status with the UN Economic and Social Council]
&
Head, Community Radio Academy

House: 13/1, Road: 2, Shaymoli, Dhaka-1207  Bangladesh
Phone: +88-02-9130750, +88-02-9138501, Cell: +88 01711881647
Fax: 88-02-9138501-105,
E-mail: ceo at bnnrc.net, bnnr <bnnrc at bd.drik.net>cbd at gmail.com  www.bnnrc.net