[governance] Rights issues in Azerbaijan / What will CS @ Baku do?

Ginger Paque ginger at paque.net
Fri May 4 08:22:18 EDT 2012

I understand and support the value of making a strong, visible
demonstration and I think all possible tools should be considered. Boycott
is not the only social statement that can be made--look at ACTA and SOPA.
Having seen what a boycott of the parliamentary elections did to Venezuela
(it gave complete control to the party did participate), I am very wary of
boycotts. I have three particular concerns:

1 As Avri asked: what do the people in Azerbaijan want us to do?
2. How can we make a strong statement? How about an 'alternate IGF' or
other very visible meeting--simultaneous or not--that constructs a strong
IG discussion, instead of simply making the IGF12 a non-meeting. What could
be a newsmaker instead of an IGF killer?
3. How would a boycott of IGF12 affect the IGF process, particularly at
this point when it seems very vulnerable?

What alternatives do we have? As Robert Guerra indicated in an earlier
post, we need to work constructively, and in a coordinated way--possibly
joining with other stakeholder group(s). I would like to step back and plan
a more coherent strategy. With all of the brilliant people on this list, I
am sure we can develop a solid framework, learning from the Tunis
experience.

I look forward to more discussion and ideas.
Cheers,
Ginger