[governance] Rights issues in Azerbaijan / What will CS @ Baku do?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed May 2 11:10:58 EDT 2012

In message <DB99002C-C697-486D-A623-C853219DB6F8 at privaterra.org>, at
09:15:54 on Wed, 2 May 2012, Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>
writes
>Roland, I disagree with how you characterize the event that took
> place in Sharm. Censorship is censorship , plain and simple.

There are many examples of censorship in the world, it's impossible to
deny. I believe that threats to kill the President are likely to be
censored in the USA (and several other countries vis-a-vis remarks about
their Head of State). There are many forms of words which are widely
regarded as racist.

So there cannot ever, as far as I can see, be "no censorship". So all
that remains to discuss is to what extent one is entitled to break
taboos (which is a more constructive description than attracting
censorship) when a guest in a country, or at an organisation's meeting.

Doesn't operating in an International community require us to make
allowances from time to time?
--
Roland Perry