[governance] ICANN Wraps Up Prague Meeting on Thursday

SAMUELS,Carlton A carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Tue May 1 13:34:03 EDT 2012

Here's my response to the announcement on an ICANN list:
- Carlton Samuels

I'm sure I may be in the minority to bemoan the passing of the usual 'public' Friday morning ICANN Board meeting.

Let us be clear I'm not just hopped off the truck here. I'm familiar enough with these matters to recognize it for what it is principally intended; theatre.  But in the ICANN context, even crafted theatre has its role.

First, I truly believe that for a claimed multistakeholder organisation and while the 'public' board meeting may not have been all it could be, it was an important indicator or attribute of the MSM, especially having regard the global public interest.

Secondly, even if the votes are already taken, there existed an outside chance that one may witness truly revealing 'body language' of participants.  Maybe its because for most of my life I have always straddled several socio-political realities. But I am socialized to be ever mindful that one may 'feel the hand of Esau even as you hear the voice of Jacob'.

I can still hear Susan Crawford's cathartic farewell speech in 2008.  It was remarkable, the response in body language of several board members told a story.  I will concede it may not mean much, then and there.  Aferall, the deed is done and the die is cast. But when the 'fire next time' comes, it is instructive.

- Carlton Samuels