[governance] Rights issues in Azerbaijan / What will CS @ Baku do?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue May 1 07:03:04 EDT 2012

In message <99B43E30-E7F4-4F57-9CB7-E001BD36B34A at ciroap.org>, at
17:54:36 on Tue, 1 May 2012, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> writes

>Was that the fracas arising from what UN officials allegedly saw as a
>"commercial" book launch, with commerce being banned from such meetings
>(although that's a better known rule for people with space in the
>"Village" than people holding what was reported at the time as a
>"reception" rather than a "workshop").
>
>Actually a few ex post facto justifications were proffered to justify
>the clamp-down on the launch, but the one the Secretariat ran with was
>that there is a "no posters" rule at the UN.  Then the following day,
>at another book launch, I took a photo of erstwhile IGF Executive
>Coordinator Markus Kummer happily sipping champagne under a very
>similar poster.  Similar except for the fact that it wasn't about
>China: http://igfwatch.org/discussion-board/markus-kummers-hypocrisy.

Is GISWatch2009 a commercial venture, and displaying a poster outside
it's allocated room?

I'm trying hard not to take sides here, but to the extent that I think
the stated problem was [unapproved] *commercial* banners, and outside
the room, what happened in both cases could be consistent with that
rule.

[Although on site at the time, I missed the excitement at first hand]

Do you at least agree it wasn't a "workshop"? I know it sounds pedantic,
but attention to details like this can be very important. I recall a
discussion which went on for days, and was vitally important to several
stakeholders, about whether a particular ITU resolution should mention
"members" or "Members" [of the ITU], such is the playing field we work
on.
--
Roland Perry