AW: [governance] US hearing on International Proposals to Regulate the Internet

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon May 28 05:09:35 EDT 2012

In message <2DA93620FC07494C926D60C8E3C2F1A8010CCD94 at server1.medienkomm.
uni-halle.de>, at 10:35:37 on Mon, 28 May 2012, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang"
<wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> writes
> The governmental representative from Iran said that "Internet Governance is not on the agenda of the Dubai conference". But in the next
>statement he said that IPv6 is part of the agenda and that today "the Internet is everyhwere".

If IPv6 is a "day to day technical and operation matter" (Tunis #69),
then perhaps our Iranian friend has a point.

But no-one can deny IPv6 will "be on the agenda" - all this previous
work isn't just conveniently going to fade away:

<http://academy.itu.int/index.php/topics/item/324-ipv6-rel-resolutions-
recommendations>

>As a private company you can join ITU as a sector member, have to pay a high entrance fee and get access to the documents. If a CS
>organisations wants to have the documents they should contact their governments, was the recommendnation. As you know, all WCIT conference
>documents are not accessible. You have to have a TIED account to open the documents and this is reserved to member states only.

It's a TIES account (Telecommunication Information Exchange Service) and
they are given to Sector Members too. A few Council documents are
restricted to member states only, but most of the TIES site is available
to Sector members, and I never failed to source a document I needed,
even when not a member.

If you feel you are part of the constituency of any of the Sector
members (which include RIRs and ISOC), perhaps you could ask their staff
to brief you, to the extent they feel ITU protocol allows?

And it's times like this relationships built up with various member
state representatives over the years come to the fore.

--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org