[governance] US hearing on International Proposals to Regulate the Internet

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Mon May 28 03:21:53 EDT 2012

Thanks for posting this, Jeremy.
Not very promising. And I wonder which proposals they are going to
discuss. Personally I don't think that any proposals to date, not CIRP
or IBSA or IT for Change or others made on Sunday qualify as proposals
for 'regulating the internet'.

Perhaps the Saudi Arabia comments are closest to this direction.

Countries who proposed UN oversight on the 18th, such as South Africa
and Iran always qualified that they are arguing for intergovernmental
oversight of internet public policy and that this role should not
include technical management of the internet. It is in fact the 'public
policy oversight' that I am concerned about, particularly as they are
proposing to locate this in the ITU.

The distorted FCC reaction to talk of the ITU taking over and
'regulating' the internet only sets serious discussion about
international cooperation, and rooting internet policy in existing
international agreements, back.

It has also been clear from following this process that governments that
were open to non-ITU options are increasingly going for a pro-ITU option
because their concerns are not taken seriously in other spaces.

Anriette

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692