[governance] Re: CIRP+

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Mon May 14 18:28:54 EDT 2012

This question - of what might be some new form of governance - is a
perennial for IGC.  We have circled around it, by now several times.

To note some of points of discussion:

 From Wolfgang
May 13, 2012 4:59:24 AM EDT
> a body which is able to produce rough consensus

Consensus implies legitimacy.  In the case of civil society, that
encompasses several billion folks.

A handful of individuals, debating on a listserve, just are not - in
the end - able to proclaim, with any credibility, that consensus.

Very much more to the point - aggregating all the many, many views is
one crux of the question.  As below.

> hierarchical thinking of the 20th century. What we need is a network
> thinking for the 21st century

Hierarchy is gone, network is in?

Humans have been operating with social networks for thousands of
years, at the least.  Most decidedly there is nothing new underlying,
certainly not on account of a calendar system that by happenstance
turned a triple zero number, 2000 ...  Nor have the hierarchical
inclinations, also hard-wired into the genome, suddenly gone into
hibernation.  Evolution does not work that way.

What could be new is some thinking that artfully understood, better,
how these weave together.  To address, notably, the aggregation of
views question.

As indeed Parminder asks
May 13, 2012 5:53:44 AM EDT
> tell us clearly what would be the structure of this new mechanism,
> what functions will it perform, and how, what would be its outcomes
> and how will they be implemented.

Then again from Wolfgang
> CS was invited to WSIS, now we are here and we want to participate
> in Realpolitik. To give us a seat on the table

On the one side, Realpolitik alerts that power is the underlying
issue. Those who have it - governments, particularly of the North;
increasingly BRIC countries et al,; several large private actors;
among others - will not be ceding that power without good reason.  As
the interminable discussion of EC illustrates.

At the same time on the other side, the prospect for some new, more
suitable arrangements - as Wolfgang brings up - do turn it seems on an
appeal to “more democracy.”  A shibboleth that may, because its claims
are sound, be more than a rallying cry for change.  Power may actually
shift.

A robust democracy, built from understanding the mix of hierarchy and
network, one that actually achieves legitimate aggregation of views -
in other words, this could be a democracy that actually moves toward
lofty goals.

As Paul Lehto has said more than once, but once again here
May 8, 2012 2:28:06 PM EDT
> the "stakeholder" stuff can at most only be seen as an intermediate
> and transition-state to real democracy.

WSIS Forum week, MAG, IGF consultations, EC the end of the week -
these will all take our time.  In the meantime these large questions
will not go away.

David

     governance at lists.cpsr.org