[governance] NTIA says ICANN "does not meet the requirements" for IANA renewal

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Mon Mar 12 02:56:28 EDT 2012

On 12.03.12 04:13, John Curran wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2012, at 3:16 PM, Daniel Kalchev wrote:
>
>> About the only way out, with regards to the current situation is if
>> ICANN Is brave enough to spin off IANA as separate entity.
>
> Daniel -
>   Could you elaborate on the above?  I'm trying to understand what
>   exactly you propose, and how that would solve the situation.

I know, some of this may sound very speculative, but unfortunately it is
not.

Some background:
The 'change' in IANA within ICANN happened few years ago. Before that
point, IANA was an small, encapsulated entity that more or less just
shared office space with ICANN. IANA at that time had only office
equipment necessary to perform it's role.
Then, ICANN decided to invest big in data center facilities. This more
or less coincides with the design and implementation of the root DNSSEC
signing. I believe IANA by itself did not have the capacity to do
anything like that and ICANN came as the big brother to help. There was
a lot of controversy during that time, whether IANA/ICANN should perform
this function on their own or they should follow different model. My
suggestion at the time was to separate IANA as much as possible from
ICANN, as this would be the only chance to have IANA perform the root
zone signing for DNSSEC and that everyone would agree to it.

One can argue, that before that tripping point, ICANN was the forum for
various stakeholders to meet together and achieve consensus. This was
about the only role which I could personally see ICANN do and be
equitable, but.. apparently someone there had different agenda. With
this infrastructure investment, ICANN prepared itself to become yet
another DNS Registry -- the registry of the root. This, also coincided
with the plans/introduction of the IDN Fast Track and now the new gTLD
expansion.

Yet another issue ICANN has is with ccTLDs. It has been an situation for
so many years, where ICANN claimed that ccTLDs did not contribute, in
contrast with gTLDs (who in fact have contractual relationship with
ICANN). On the other hand, ccTLDs have always had the position, that
they are happy to contribute to whatever costs IANA (but not ICANN) has,
as it is IANA they are dealing with, with regards to "services".

Now back to your question: The moment ICANN invested in beefing up the
technical capability of IANA was the perfect time for IANA to be spun
off as an independent unit, perhaps under close supervision of ICANN.
Unfortunately, this would mean that ICANN could tie up their own hands,
with regards to their plans for being able to create new top level
domains at will.

To do this separation today, ICANN has to be extremely brave, as to
ignore all the lobbying for the new gTLDs and all the promises in that
regard made by ICANN (staff). For when the separation becomes reality,
ICANN will become the policy body and IANA will become the executive
body -- with regards to the root DNS (there is a lot more that IANA
does, but ICANN does not see they money there, yet). There will possibly
be an controlling body as well.

If IANA is separate entity, all ccTLDs will be more than happy to
support that entity, as it will be slim and transparent enough. This is
one problem, that is solved. A very long standing problem for ICANN.
This separation is exactly what NTIA has requested in the latest bid and
what ICANN has refused to demonstrate they can/will do. It is therefore
the primary reason for the current stopping of the bid. I believe NTIA
will be more than happy to accept that setup.

By the way, this power separation model already exists in some ccTLDs -
where there is a separate policy making body and separate technical
executive body.

There are already established "impartial" internet registries like IANA
- the various regional IP registries come to mind, like the RIPE NCC. At
one time, during this discussion it occurred to me, that if ICANN fails
to meet the NTIA requirements, perhaps one of these will, most likely
ARIN (as there was a requirement to be US based, if I remember
correctly). Or probably better, a new structure built around that model.
(as to not create conflict of interest, because ARIN by itself is a
"customer" for IANA services)

Daniel