[governance] NTIA says ICANN "does not meet the requirements" for IANA renewal

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 19:10:03 EDT 2012

These are strictly my views as an individual and does not represent the
views of any of my affiliations.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu> wrote:

>   If I may play Internet governance realpolitik analyst for a minute:
>
> The nonrenewal of IANA while a surprise to ICANN, was likely - not at all
> - a surprise to the EU + other OECD other governments.

I am not sure whether it would be a surprise but for those following
internet governance who wear numerous hats and are involved in various
sectors within the internet ecosystem, I do not think that they were
unaware of the global dynamics in play. If it was a surprise or not, I
don't know.

> Reading between the 'global community' lines in the NTIA statement, it is
> also safe to surmise that the Indian government for sure, quite possibly
> rest of IBSA crowd, plus or minus China, were pre-informed/consulted as
> well.

The reality is that when the Indian Government made the call to the UN
General Assembly last year, it would not have done so had it not had the
backing nor lobbying of various countries because lobbying within the UN
happens well before a motion is made. If we peel back the layers, it is not
also accidental that Russia made a hefty donation to the ITU last year.
However, as advocates of global public interest, we should be considering
the impact of have an intergovernmental body to coordinate global policy
making. I will refrain from making any comments as I believe all
stakeholders whether they are civil society, public sector and civil
society have room to grow in terms of better making the multistakeholder
model works.

The real challenge is in decoding "what is brewing?"