[governance] NTIA says ICANN "does not meet the requirements"for IANA renewal

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Mar 10 21:38:03 EST 2012

Here's my Sunday afternoon take on this.

Firstly, I am glad to see that the Internet is still working whatever NTIA
or ICANN does or has done. That puts this in its perspective.

Secondly, all of this raises higher questions of internet governance.

NTIA is doing a fairly typical USG global politics reaction here - do it our
way or else. Their right to do so is actually very questionable, and in
reality it is because there is a vacuum in internet governance and trust of
any multistakeholder body that this is even an issue at all.

Whether you interpret Internet history to read that USG has some sort of
right to unilaterally judge on such issues or not, it's absolutely certain
that such a unilateral right has become obsolete with a global internet and
we need to look at moving the NTIA function elsewhere, not the IANA
functions.

That can only be done through a representative global body. Now neither NTIA
or ICANN wants that to be ITU and that isnt going to happen. So we can put
that old fear to bed. But we still have to come up with a global structure
that can have some authority here.

To me the possibilities lie with a strengthening of Internet Governance
Forum, currently not able to much at all because of a lack of funding. You
will recall that IGF was initially opposed by both ICANN and ISOC - in
latter days they have seen something of its merits, but despite their joint
wealths their contributions to IGF are a pittance. Perhaps if both ISOC and
ICANN committed say 10% of what they currently spend on internal staff
benefits and fares to meetings for their closest supporters to provide IGF
with a decent secretariat and funding for civil society and others who need
support to attend meetings, the power and bargaining position of NTIA to
rule on such issues might be replaced by a truly global body.

But if we continue with the myth that the internet community knows best, and
is beholden to no one, I'm afraid that NTIA will fill the Internet
governance gap. I don't see whose interests that serves.

Ian Peter