[governance] NTIA says ICANN "does not meet the requirements" for IANA renewal

Matthias C. Kettemann matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at
Sat Mar 10 17:01:17 EST 2012

I have done a bit of thinking and writing about what the NTIA decision
tells us about Internet Governance and the multi-stakeholder approach.

In brief: Is the NTIA decision a good thing for multistakeholderbased
human rights-sensitive Internet Governance?

It is, if it leads to more accountability in the next application of
ICANN, which is sure to follow.
It isn't, if it leads to more governmental oversight in defining the
global public interest vis-a-vis the web.

For more details, see http://goo.gl/d5GI8

Cheers
Matthias