[governance] Rough costs to participate at upcoming WCIT 12

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 10:50:57 EST 2012

Dear Robert,
A good lesson to me to avoid being cryptic.
I was in fact agreeing with you.
I think we need to be ingenious about finding ways and means with resources
that we have in abundance. Money is not one of them.
I disagree that this 'problem' is limited to US electoral process. It crops
up all over the place. How the Internet is governed is one of those places.
Deirdre

On 8 March 2012 11:34, Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org> wrote:

> Deirdre,
>
> Let's stay focused on IG issues please.
>
> While the caucus can't do much about electoral politics in the US, we can
> - if strategic - make an impact on the development of Internet Governance..
>
> Let me comment on your earlier post below...
>
> On 2012-03-08, at 10:03 AM, Deirdre Williams wrote:
>

> > Is this the same in Internet Governance? See Fouad Parminder thread
> > 27,000 USD is quite a sum.
> > Chicken feed to a billionaire.
>

> The Citizen's United US Supreme court decision allows for individuals
> (which includes companies) to give unrestricted amounts to candidates
> running for office. No doubt it will cause all sorts of influence that is
> quite undesirable and not transparent at all.
>
> We could spend hours, in fact likely months discussing the US electoral
> process - however that would take precious time, energy and effort away
> from the objectives outlined in the Internet Governance Caucus Charter,
> that being focusing on advancing Civil Society's role and Internet
> Governance issues.
>
> I for one prefer to stay focused, and will try to do so to the best of my
> ability. Others may see things differently, and I do respect the choice of
> veering off the scope outlined in the caucus charter.
>

> regards
>
> Robert
>

> Ref:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._Federal_Election_Commission

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979