[governance] Is this the same in Internet Governance?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Mar 8 09:35:19 EST 2012

Fouad,

Thanks for raising this very important issue. From the quoted article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/20/who-funds-thinktank-lobbyists

    "This is plutocracy, pure and simple. The battle for democracy is
    now a straight fight against the billionaires and corporations
    reshaping politics to suit their interests. The first task
    of all democrats must be to demand that any group, of any
    complexion, seeking to effect political change should reveal its
    funders."

It is our view, among civil society groups that I work with, that no one
should be considered civil society who doesnt reveal all funding
sources, in a completely transparent (preferably pro-active) manner, and
is not ready to answer all questions in this regard.

What has been obvious to most for decades and centuries of devleopment
of democratic thinking, seems to be completely lost on a lot of the so
called IG civil society. There is this very dangerous talk of 'multi
stakeholder funding' against 'public funding' for policy bodies (what to
speak of just public interest civil society bodies). Since the civil
society obviously has no funds to spare, this is just a poorly-disguised
call for corporate funding for policy bodies. And this talk has flowered
on this very list, and we have kept quite, nay mostly been supportive.

This is nothing other than the most powerful - plutocrats, referred in
the above quote - seeking to control the reins of policy -making and
-shaping bodies through control over their finances. And I have seen
with horror how easily civil society have fallen prey to this game, and
openly supported such moves.

Even in the Working Group on Improvements to the IGF (WGIIGF) this game
played out, as one of the biggest contestations. Whether there should be
any global public funding at all for the IGF become a big sticking
point. And the final resolution was; no, IGF should entirely be
supported by private funds, whether of corporates, or by voluntary
donations by countries who have obvious partisan interests vis a vis
global policy regimes. And what a victory for civil society - that evil
UN was able to be kept at bay. We can celebrate!

So, who are we, of the IG world, to be surprised or feel wounded to read
such news items like this one - that special interests have been bank
rolling the so called civil society bodies. We have gone much further;
we have advocated and ensured that even policy bodies are exclusively
financed by private funds, so that what you cant do by your legitimate
representation in a policy developing system, you can do through control
over its funds. A brave new post-democratic world indeed. And we have
been less than silent accomplices in building it.

One should have heard the long and strident arguments of our much valued
partners of the mustistakeholder brigade - you know who - against
greater transparency in IGF funding. However, these things look to IG
civil society as minor issues relative to that big demon - UN taking
over the Internet. (In the end though, and I give the credit largely to
two government participants - one from the North and another from the
South - one of the very very few real accomplishments of the report of
the WG on IGF Improvements is that it calls for full disclosure - on
both sides, incomes and expenditure - regarding IGF finances. )

Significantly, since an opposition to any UN funds for the IGF was
sweet-coated by the 'UN taking over the Internet' bogey, an alternative
innovative way of direct public funding of the IGF through routing of
the fees or taxes collected by the ICANN + system from the users was
proposed, but it was equally cynically shot down. So you see, the
problem is not only with UN's 'tainted' public funds - as some want to
see it - it is against any funding which is automatic and which doesnt
give the rich and the powerful discretionary levers of control over the
global IG policy system.

Quite unhappily, there wasnt even any civil society support for this
proposal.

In the circumstances, going back to the original article about corporate
money and politics, I think IG civil society has a lot to think about
its own conduct and outlook in this matter.

parminder