[governance] US Lawmaker Opens up ACTA to Online Comments

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 05:51:39 EST 2012

Well if the dog can't wag its tail (sopa or pipa) then the tail can wag
the dog... so acta will do the job...

actually, it was the same with the deregulation of financial services in
the 1990s - there was local resistance to undoing Glass Steagull (the
seperation of investment from commercial banks - the 1930s law). the US
committed at the WTO to undo it, and voila...

I think our progressive friends in the rich countries have been
struggling against enormous odds in their countries (from a public
interest, rather than vested interest pov)... national interest can be
rather short term and detrimental in the longer runs...

Lets hope they can defeat this, otherwise it will become their next
export to poor countries...