[governance] WikiLeaks: Stratfor leak shows US's covert plan to prosecute Assange

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 15:48:10 EST 2012

Dear Riaz,

Thank you for this and these are some thoughts. This is really interesting.
If we look at the case of:-

 China [alleged imtimidation of Ai Wei Wei for threats against
 Odre Public/Public Order];
 US [alleged intention to prosecute Assange for threats to "national
security"];
Pakistan [RFPs for filtering for threats against Public Order];
 India [New Delhi - where Court said that ISPs have to block content for
threats against Public Order/Moral];
 Europe [where ECJ held that the danger of blocking lawful content was a
far greater risk in terms of filtering attempts]

then we have a deeper appreciation of the need to see what are legitimate
exceptions.

Sala

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com> wrote:

>  WikiLeaks: Stratfor leak shows US's covert plan to prosecute Assange
>    Wednesday, February 29, 2012
>       Julian Assange.
>
> WikiLeaks released the statement<http://wikileaks.org/Stratfor-Emails-US-Has-Issued.html>below on February 28.
>
> * * *
>
> Confidential emails obtained from the US private intelligence firm
> Stratfor show that the United States government has had a secret indictment
> against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange for more than 12 months.
>
> Fred Burton, Stratfor’s Vice-President for Counterterrorism and Corporate
> Security, is a former Deputy Chief of the Department of State’s (DoS)
> counterterrorism division for the Diplomatic Security Service (DSS).
>
> In early 2011, Burton revealed in internal Stratfor correspondence that a
> secret Grand Jury had already issued a sealed indictment for Assange: "Not
> for Pub — We have a sealed indictment on Assange. Pls protect." (375123)
> According to Burton: "Assange is going to make a nice bride in prison.
> Screw the terrorist. He’ll be eating cat food forever." (1056988) A few
> weeks earlier, following Julian Assange’s release from a London jail, where
> he had been remanded as a result of a Swedish prosecutor’s arrest warrant,
> Fred Burton told SkyNews: "extradition [to the US is] more and more
> likely". (373862).
>
> Emails from Fred Burton reveal that the US government employs the same
> counterterrorism strategy against Julian Assange and WikiLeaks as against
> Al Qaeda: "Take down the money. Go after his infrastructure. The tools we
> are using to nail and de-construct Wiki are the same tools used to
> dismantle and track aQ [Al Qaeda]. Thank Cheney & 43 [former US President
> George W. Bush]. Big Brother owns his liberal terrorist arse." (1067796)
>
> Ten days after the CIA reportedly assassinated Osama bin Laden, Burton
> writes in an email sent to Stratfor’s "Secure" mailing list that he "can
> get access to the materials seized from the OBL [Osama bin Laden] safe
> house." (1660854)
>
> Burton states: "Ferreting out [Julian Assange’s] confederates is also key.
> Find out what other disgruntled rogues inside the tent or outside [sic].
> Pile on. Move him from country to country to face various charges for the
> next 25 years. But, seize everything he and his family own, to include
> every person linked to Wiki." (1056763)
>
> Along with the FBI, the Diplomatic Security Service and the Department of
> Defense (DoD) form a multi-agency US Government outfit seeking to
> criminally indict and prosecute WikiLeaks and Julian Assange. According to
> the Department of State, the DSS handles the investigation of all leads
> that involve the DoS and assists the DoD in forensic analysis of hard
> drives seized by the US government in its ongoing criminal investigation.
>
> Burton also says he "would pursue [c]onspiracy and [p]olitical [t]errorism
> [...]

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala

Tweeter: @SalanietaT
Skype:Salanieta.Tamanikaiwaimaro
Cell: +679 998 2851