[governance] Host Country's attention to IGF participant Visas

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 14:17:24 EST 2012

Siva raises an important point.  The excellent work done by Grace Githaiga
in acting as a liaison for the IGC and Department of  Immigration in
Nairobi helped tremendously. It would be great if the Secretariat and Hosts
worked together to facilitate visa coordination with ease so that people
who have to fly out to other countries to collect a visa and cannot afford
to send their passports in the mail are catered for.

It is certainly easier to collect it on arrival, I think and if temporary
visas can be granted, even better. I remember when the IGF was hosted by
Lithuania, I had to pick up my visa in Tokyo, Japan, fortunately I could
pick my Schengen visa, I had from Fiji.

I suppose ICANN Travel have vast experience from organising travel fori 3
ICANN  meetings per annum, and have achieved a level of "administrative
efficiency" but yes there should be a workable model for the IGF Visa
coordination that should be done many months before.

Kind Regards,
Sala

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Imran Ahmed Shah <ias_pk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I also support this proposal
> +1.
>
> Thanks
> Imran------------------------------On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 11:33 PM PKT
> Sivasubramanian M wrote:>Hello,>>Costa Rica is hosting the 43rd ICANN
> meeting.>>On February 4 ICANN Constituency Travel sent an email message to
> all>participants seeking visa on arrival and asked us to send a copy of
> the>ticket and passport to Sylvia Moya of NIC, Costa Rica. Three weeks
> later>there is a copy of a resolution by Dirección Genero! de  Migracion y>
> Extranjeria, Servirzicza, Justicia: y Transparencia. This resolution
> is>addressed to the Juan Santa Maria International Airport and contains a
> list>of 24 names of participants who have been granted a visa for 30
> days.>>I hope that the IGF Host Countries could designate someone like
> Sylvia Moya>and pay special attention to the visa issues of the
> participants.>>( Costa Rica has declared the ICANN meeting one of "National
> Interest".>
> http://www.insidecostarica.com/dailynews/2012/january/26/costarica12012609.htm>
> )>>Sivasubramanian
>  M>ISOC India Chennai>http://isocindiachennai.org>>>