[governance] FBI, DEA, IPv6 & ICANN

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 27 10:28:04 EDT 2012

On Jun 27, 2012, at 3:32 PM, c.a. wrote:

> Hi John, simple: Rirs and supporting/advisory organizations are part of the Internet governance body called Icann (unless the number orgs have become fully independent and Icann no longer oversees then, which is not what I know),

The Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) _predate_ and indeed are
independent of ICANN, although the RIRs and ICANN have agreed by
Memorandum of Understanding that the RIRs should participate in
the ICANN model for purposes of technical coordination in global
policy development for Internet number resources.  This coordination
includes defining the relationship between the Internet addressing
community (represented by the RIRs and their nearly 15000 members)
and ICANN, as well as defining mechanisms for recommending for the
recognition of new RIRs to the ICANN Board.  The RIRs coordinate
collectively via the Number Resource Organization (NRO) and the
NRO fulfills the role, responsibilities and functions of the
eeee Address Supporting Organization as defined within the ICANN Bylaws.

As true membership organizations for all those using IP address
space, the RIRs have very strong validity as representative
governance organizations, and each has committed to transparent
policy development processes which are open to all.

> so since this is a govenance issue which might gravely affect privacy, neutrality and other rights' issues, I thought it proper to direct the question to Icann itself.

The question is most appropriately referred to each RIR community
which is discussing the issue.  There may be regional policy making
in this area, or even global policy making if sufficient consensus
is present.  If global policy making occurs, then the role of the
community-elected ASO Address Council is to review to make sure
that the same policy was adopted in all regions, that processes
providing for open and transparent development were followed, and
then to recommend the global policy for ratification by the ICANN
Board.

In fact, this particular issue of accuracy of Whois once we move
to IPv6 is being already being discussed in the ARIN region, simply
because that's the region where it was raised.  No policy proposals
have been made (and it should be noted that ARIN's existing Whois
policy already requires that Internet service providers record their
delegations into the public Whois today, but there is concern that
policy alone might not suffice to provide sufficient incentives.)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO