[governance] [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Jun 25 13:59:11 EDT 2012

C.a.,

On Jun 24, 2012, at 11:32 PM, c.a. wrote:
> David, the only relevant "RFC" in the .iq case was a determination from the USG for Icann to suspend the domain.

An interesting view given the thrust of this discussion to date. To be clear, IANA is required to follow policies dictated by RFC 1591/ICP-1 and the "oversight" role of the USG in root management is to ensure ICANN/IANA staff has indeed followed those policies.

Out of curiosity, why do you believe ICANN (or the USG) "suspended" the .iq domain?  My understanding (again, before my time at ICANN so I may be misinformed) was that the folks Postel delegated the domain to didn't do anything with it and got in trouble for violating US law when living in the US. When a redel request came in, it was not possible for IANA staff to establish the wishes of the Internet community in Iraq as required by RFC 1591/ICP-1 and as a result, were required by those documented policies to not make any changes.  Do you have different information about the .IQ case?

Regards,
-drc