[governance] [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jun 23 10:38:51 EDT 2012

On Saturday 23 June 2012 06:58 PM, Lee W McKnight wrote:
> Parminder,
>
> Just to be superclear about this, you are either on the inter-net, or off. That's all that the root zone file signifies.
>
> Being on the inter-net does not guarantee access to a particular - service or application -

Lee,

I am superclear about it. I surely know root zone file in about being
off or on the Internet, and quite different from availability of any
particular service over the Internet. Not sure, what made you believe I
was confused between the two.

I only said, and I believe so, that the same US's OFAC regime that
applies to google services *can* very easily apply to any non profit or
even government agency providing root server and DNS kind of services to
the sanctioned countries. To quote their website, OFAC orders apply to '
"All U.S. persons and entities (companies, non-profit groups, government
agencies, etc.) wherever located".

So you are wrong to claim that if OFAC wanted to hit the root server
services (or even domain name services like accepting cctld or new gtld
applications form the sanctioned countries)  it would have to go around
persuading NTIA etc. In any case, in the kind of circumstances we are
talking about, all wings of the administration  act as one. So OFAC and
NTIA would no doubt talk, but it will be the White House deciding.

(BTW, taking Iran's example, do see the manner how any OFAC diktat is
carefully and elaborately worded to suit US's short and long term
political and economic interests at
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/iran.pdf
and
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/internet_freedom.pdf
)

As for the sledgehammer metaphor you employ, no one likes someone
standing with a sledgehammer over his/ their head, especially when there
is a way to get the holder of the sledgehammer to put it down. Would you
like it, if it were with you :)

  If one is not going to use the sledgehammer ever, there is no point on
insisting on holding it over other people's head, as US does in not
agreeing to internationalise 'oversight' of CIR management.

parminder