[governance] [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 08:34:16 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:46 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> On other issue of, whether US gov can or could take unilateral steps with
> regard to ICANN and root server management;
>

> To take an example. if anyone tries to access the services of google
> analytics from Cuba she is greeted by the following message (for the full
> report see
> http://www.webpronews.com/google-blocks-cuba-from-gaining-analytics-access-2012-06
> )
>
> We’re: unable to grant you access to Google Analytics at this time.
>
> A connection Has Been Established Between your current IP address and
> acountry sanctioned by the U.S. government. For more information, see
> http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/ .
>
> Google Earth, Google’s Desktop Search tool and Google Code Search are
> similarly blocked.
>
> It is my understanding that a simple order from the Office of Foreign Assets
> Control to ICANN/ Verisign could put provision of root server services to
> Cuba and its nationals ( and those of some other countries) under similar
> sanctions. That is how close we are to what many think is an impossible
> calamity.

Your understanding is flawed.

Serving the root is binary, a DNS root-operator either serves it or
they don't.

If you are talking about filtering routes, well that is done in
routing, and if an order
went to ICANN/Verisign, they have no way to command the other root-ops to
route filter based on IP range.

I doubt $current_employer (F) would filter as above, even though they
are a US 501(c) corp.

I am sure $former_employer (K) would not as they are not a US corp,
and have said as much (IIRC) during WSIS.

So Cubans would still get the root served to them.

--
Cheers,

McTim