[governance] RE: FW: [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 05:52:36 EDT 2012

Parminder

Once again you storm the ramparts to be beaten back variously by
arguments for "US exceptionalism", effectiveness over legitimacy,
multistakeholderism, anti-UN (world government, entrée John Boltonites)
and a preference for reform over anything more "radical".

It would not be a problem if your seemingly "radical" views (which are
rather mainstream if one takes the legitimacy issue seriously) were
engaged with on its own terms instead of posturing that passes for
analysis. It would be wonderful to see more people on this list taking
the reform position as tactically necessary for the strategic goal of a
legitimate internet governance for all, but in my cursory review except
for one reformist-multistakeholderist this seems not to be the case.

This is such a pity since it adopts a forlorn approach to internet
governance and flies in the face of all the measures even ICANN has
taken in response to crits on its legitimacy. It seems like some
contributors to this list seek to be more Catholic than the Pope!

Keep up the good work on this list which imho is a rather hostile
environment for these types of views. Perhaps especially for those who
hold to US exceptionalism even with the horrible Patriot Act you could
suggest a hegemonic role without the necessity for such an act. But then
you would not only be unproductive and contrary but an idealist too...
what a complex bind...

Peace

Riaz