[governance] "Oversight"

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 00:45:07 EDT 2012

Alejandro,

I'm not sure whether the structure being in place for global governance
"over 'global' resources or actions" is a key factor here (and remember of
course that any parallels or conclusions that one could draw from parallels
would be only very approximate). Rather I think the significant parallel is
that the governance of the national resources (in OGP) are being done within
a framework which includes both national AND GLOBAL elements.

Thus in theory at least there is a transfer to the global sphere within a
jointly agreed upon normative framework (and to some sort of
co-determination with civil society) of management of national resources and
that I think is quite significant.

The key elements and why I think this is something of an advance on the
somewhat static positions being articulated here (status quo vs.(say)
multilateral (and/or multistakeholder) oversight) is that
	1. it is possible to disaggregate the areas where these structures
are to prevail (for example, Net Neutrality, cybersecurity, censorship/free
speech and so on) which allows for the adaptation and evolution of these
structures to changing circumstances (and would also allow for the hiving
off from these structures of more or less "pure" technical areas)
	2. it is norm based which to a degree takes the decision making
criteria out of the political sphere and makes it transparent to global CS
influence and audit
	3. it gives CS a key co-determining role without reducing the
overall national and global accountability of national governments

Best,

Mike