[governance] "Oversight"

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Jun 12 12:51:17 EDT 2012

Christopher,

On Jun 11, 2012, at 10:45 AM, CW Mail wrote:
> Nonetheless, i do recall that the principle complaint from ccTLDs in the past was not so much about who was exercising the 'oversight' but rather the time it took and how the delays were documented.

Yes. Or perhaps more generally, there was significant unhappiness within the ccTLD community about how long it took for root zone requests to be processed. I believe the consensus now is that root zone request processing is "no longer the problem".

> Alternative approaches to this technically formal and usually automatic function, flaws and all, need to take account of the clients' requirement for transparency and efficiency.

Agreed. One of the key lessons learned during the "let's fix IANA" days was that it is hard to provide too much information regarding how requests were being processed.

Regards,
-drc