[governance] "Oversight"

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jun 12 10:53:33 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 06 June 2012 10:29 PM, Lee W McKnight wrote:
> McTim's right on this.
>
> And, if I may note once more - there is a trusted human override in the inner workings of the guts of the net of nets: Meaning, the 'root server operators' are not autonamatons.
>
>   I quote:
>
> the root server operators (a quarter of which are not based in the US and
>
>> with one exception are under no contractual obligation to do anything)
>>
> Meaning, ultimately, the trusted (redundant and distributed) geeky folks some of you worry about have the responsibility to keep the whole thing up and inter-operating. As long as that remains the case - which is a design feature and not an accident - then we are all, relatively speaking of course, safe from anyone trying to take over anything.

Lee, Since you, and also David, seem to rely a lot on the argument about
root servers that are under no contractual obligation 'to do anything',
I must address it. The US based majority of root servers - which is all
but three -  may not be under any contractual obligations but they are
subject to US law, and legitimate executive orders. This is the real
issue, not just the involved contract law. In any condition that US law
and executive power considers special - whether IP enforcement or
security/ warfare related, all US based root servers will be obliged to
fall in line.

As for the three - or is it four - non US based root servers, firstly,
they are all in US friendly countries, on whom US has great persuasive
influence. In any case, the cost of non compliance to republishing the
authentic root version - in terms of possible general disruptions etc -
is too high for anyone to a make a reasonable assessment that they are
may not  fall in line. Although David says DNSSEC does not change this
situation at all, from his own description of the processes involved, I
see that DNSSEC implementation greatly increases the various costs of
non publishing of the authoritative root file as communicated from
Verisign's server.

We need to look at all this against the background that US is the most
active, perhaps the only, international actor  that very regularly
imposes unilateral sanctions on other countries which means no
relationships, including not allowing its companies, and even
non-profits, from providing any services to the sanctioned countries.

  I am quite sure that under the same law that the US gov prevents its
companies, for instance,  from providing software security updates to
residents of Sudan, Iran and some other countries, ICANN/ IANA manager
can be stopped from providing all services that it provides to the
residents and organisations in these countries. At present they dont
apply this law because they are cautious of how it would look to those
who provide it with so much legitimacy in its CIR oversight role, but
perceptions and cost-benefit analysis can change, especially in what may
getasp seen as an exceptional situation by the US. The rest of the world
cannot remain a hapless aspirant of continued US goodwill... This is
what is unacceptable to us, outside the US.

As to how much the US cares for even the international documents that it
signs, It may be pertinent to note that the WSIS Declaration of
Principles (repeated in Tunis agenda)  speaks against unilateral
measures of the kind that  Sudan, Iran, Cuba etc get subject to vis a
vis information society's technology affordances.

    In building the Information Society, States are strongly urged to
    take steps with a view to the avoidance of, and refrain from, any
    unilateral measure not in accordance with international law and the
    Charter of the United Nations that impedes the full achievement of
    economic and social development by the population of the affected
    countries, and that hinders the well-being of their population.

Do you still think other countries can trust the US with oversight
control over such a vital infrastructure as the Internet?

parminder