[governance] Emperor Izumi and Queen Sala Reach Accord With ITU

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Mon Jun 11 02:29:52 EDT 2012

OK, the _S_ubject: is a too obvious joke considering the quality of
performance by our hard working and esteemed co-chairs. But on behalf of
the Appeals Team nominating Committee, I'm compelled to note: we're past
the half-way mark for submitting nominations for the IGC's Appeals Team,
*and not one name has been submitted!*

The important and engaging discussions on topics relating to the
Internet's future provide a better excuses for the paucity of nominees
than the traditional "the dog ate my paper." But the deadline for
nominations is approaching - next Sunday, June 24, see details below -
and we have a responsibility to have an Appeals Team.

See the duties and qualification details below, and send nominations to
the Appeals Team members:

  * Asif Kabani <kabani.asif at gmail.com>
  * Hakikur Rahman <email at hakik.org>
  * Naveed haq <naveedpta at hotmail.com>
  * Shahid Akbar <shahid.akbar at biid.org.bd>
  * Wilson Abigaba <abigabaw at gmail.com>
  * with a copy to the non-voting chair Thomas Lowenhaupt
    <TOML at communisphere.com>

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt

*As sent on May 24...*

Fellow Members of the IGF,

With "Governance" a key word in our Civil Society Internet Governance
Caucus, the selection of an Appeals Team is an important part of our
responsibilities. This email begins the process of creating a new
Appeals Team. As per the IGC Charter <http://www.igcaucus.org/charter>,
the role of the Appeals Team is:

    "Any time 4 individual members of the IGC co-sign a statement on the
    main IGC mailing list they can appeal any decision of the
    coordinators. When a decision is appealed, the appeals team will
    review any discussions that occurred and will request comments from
    the IGC membership. Based on the information they collect and
    discussion, they will decide on the merit of the appeal."

    "Decisions by the appeals team are based on a majority vote of the
    appeal team, i.e., three (3) or more votes, except in the case of
    coordinator recall which requires full consensus. The decision of
    the appeals team will be final on every decision reviewed."

    "An appeals team of five (5) IGC members will be formed. The appeals
    board will be selected yearly by a randomly selected nominating
    committee as defined here. <http://igcaucus.org/appeals-team>
    Coordinators are not qualified to be members of the appeals team."

    Thus the members of the Appeals Team serve a vital role in
    maintaining the integrity of the IGC's efforts.

    This letter calls for nominees -- self or otherwise -- for a new
    Appeals Team. Nominations shall be received by midnight, June 24,
    2012 GMT.

    Nominees will be contacted to verify their interest in the position
    and to submit background information that will help the NomCom make
    a decision as to its membership. The NomCom will review the nominees
    and render its decision by July 15, 2012.

    To assure full and timely distribution of nominations, they should
    be sent to the NomCom Chair via TomL at communisphere.com, and to each
    NomCom voting member using the Cc. addresses in the heading area of
    this email. [NOTE: The Nominating Committee member email addresses
    provided below.]

    We look forward to your participation in this important activity.

    On behalf of the Appeals Team Nominating Committee: Asif Kabani,
    Hakikur Rahman, Naveed-ul-Haq, Shahid Uddin Akbar, and Wilson Abigaba.

    Sincerely,

    Thomas Lowenhaupt (non-voting chair)