[governance] "Oversight"

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jun 8 12:57:00 EDT 2012

On Friday 08 June 2012 08:52 PM, Lee W McKnight wrote:
> Parminder,
>
> As more of a political than technical guy...at least hard-core
> Internet techies would say so : ) -  again permit me to play
> interpreter/historian; which also has implications for Norbert's
> recent suggestions:
>
> David said:
>
> - a viable alternative has not been identified;

I think civil society should identify it. Civil society is by definition
the non institutional space... All those alredy too thickly involved
with IG institutions - and I include  ICANN and ISOC here, and of course
ITU too, are unlikely to do so.

> My comment: Exactly
>
> David said:
> - historical experiences by the Internet technical community with one
> such international body (the ITU) were less than positive and have
> soured folks in that community on all international bodies.
>
> snip
>
> Still, I'm sure many in the 'Internet technical community' remember
> having to literally and not figuratively fight off UN (ITU) efforts
> not to regulate the net, but to kill it.
>
> Yeah it is all good to say we should let bygones be bygones, but.

As proposed by me in the earlier email, lets insist that ICANN/ IETF
models be officially sanctified by the same agreement that
internationalises oversight. That would, to a good extent, take care of
this issue isnt it. That is best way to resist undue demands and efforts
of ITU, isnt it.

> Anyway, point remains, the nuances we are addressing here are all
> super-important and we/you need to think precisely about what you/we
> are aiming/asking for.

I have said it, others may comment, propose alternatives, whatever...
but we need to move from where we are.....

> Norbert's suggestions are a good starting point for further
> discussion, in a 'put your (engineering) money where your claimed
> priorities are' way.

Internationalising oversight is very important imperative for many/ most
countries, and I have no doubt that they will put in all the money that
is needed. No doubt at all. Lets leave this argument out.

> IF noone is putting up alternatives to the present, then the present
> continues to the future.

Exactly.

> You may or may not share McTim's view that change cannot be
> made/implemented,

No, I dont, Never had sympathy for such fatalistic views.

> but if no demonstrably viable alternative exists, then we remain where
> we are.

I dont know what demonstration means.... I cant demonstrate oversight
models without they being actually accepted and implemented. But
logically and conceptually, yes... that is what I am trying.